The recipe for this soup can be found in Disney cookbooks as well as here. My favorite time of year in Florida is the fall. I love the cooler weather. The fall also means that it is time for the Food & Wine Festival at Epcot. My favorite thing to eat every year at the Festival is the Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup! I am so glad that I tried this recipe. It was just like the soup in Epcot. I will be making this recipe again. It made quite a bit of soup so if I wasn't planning to feed a large crowd I would cut the recipe in half.
- 1/2 pound of bacon that is cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium red onion cut into 1/4 inch pieces (I only used half an onion)
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1/4 pieces
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 4 cups of milk
- 3/4 pound of grated white cheddar cheese (I used orange cheddar cheese)
- 1 tablespoon of Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup of warm beer
- In a large pot or dutch oven, cook the bacon, stirring over medium heat about 5 minutes, or until it is lightly browned.
- Next add the red onion, celery, and butter. Saute until the onion has softened about 5 minutes.
- Then add the flour and cook. Stirring constantly for about 4 minutes over medium heat.
- Whisk in the chicken stock and bring to a boil for one minute. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the milk and continue to simmer for 15 minutes. Do not boil after you add the milk.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper, until the cheese is melted and the soup is smooth.
- Next stir in the warm beer. If the soups is too thick, add some warm milk.
- Finally serve the soup hot.